Open Houses – are they productive?
While some may say yes, others in the business say that they don’t produce action. IN my opinion what an open house does is provides me a list of ideal candidates for a home sale. In other words, I may not find the right buyer for your home, doing an open house at your home but I may find the right buyer while doing an open house at another home. So it plays out in the long run, that open houses work in creating potential buyer lists. I have sold a couple due to the open house, but it is rare. Now someone that comes through may go back to their agent and bring an offer a couple weeks later as well.
Here are some tips if your agent is planning an open house.
If you do agree to conduct an open house, here are some tips:
• Make sure proper home staging is done in advance so your home appeals to the maximum number of potential buyers.
• Do not stay in the house during the open house. You are more than likely to volunteer too much information, including why you are selling. This will hurt your negotiating position later.
• Make sure your agent will be there the entire time.
• It is not against the law to ask for identification in order to allow someone to enter your home. If they refuse to provide it, tell your agent to refuse them entry.
• Sometimes criminals will come in pairs; while one distracts the salesperson, the other is going through drawers. If a lot of people are expected make sure your agent brings an assistant.
• Ask your agent to check all windows and doors before they leave your home to make sure everything is properly secured.
• Remove all valuables or store them in a safe, if you have one in the home. This includes your laptop and any discs that may have your personal information on them.
• Keep all of your bank and credit card statements out of view, as this could lead to identity theft if someone takes them.
• Take pictures of each room so you can check later if something is missing or damaged during the open house.
Whatever you decide regarding an open house, make sure you are properly prepared in advance
P.S. - Please remember not to keep me a SECRET! Don't forget to mention Jason Steele to your friends or family that have expressed interest in buying or selling a home anywhere in Ontario! Follow my BLOG for real estate information.
Coldwell Banker, The Property Shoppe Real Estate, Brokerage
(independently owned and operated)
Not intended to solicit persons/properties currently under contract with any other representative or brokerage.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
Trademark owned or controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association. Used under license